Skip to Main Content
An individual-based simulation model for mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdi) in a southern Appalachian streamAuthor(s): Brenda Rashleigh; Gary D. Grossman
Source: Ecological Modeling, Vol. 187: 247-258
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.13 MB)
DescriptionWe describe and analyze a spatially explicit, individual-based model for the local population dynamics of mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdi). The model simulated daily growth, mortality, movement and spawning of individuals within a reach of stream. Juvenile and adult growth was based on consumption bioenergetics of benthic macroinvertebrate prey; benthic macroinvertebrate densities were a function of flow, season, and habitat quality. We based mortality rates of individual sculpin on their condition. Fish movement was determined by a growth maximization rule. We adjusted selected parameters to calibrate the model for a sculpin population in a southern Appalachian stream, in terms of adult and juvenile abundance and mean adult weight and length. Sensitivity and correlation analysis of the calibrated model suggested that this population was regulated by overwinter density-dependence among juveniles and adults.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRashleigh, Brenda; Grossman, Gary D. 2005. An individual-based simulation model for mottled sculpin (Cottus bairdi) in a southern Appalachian stream. Ecological Modeling, Vol. 187: 247-258
Keywordsdensity-dependence, population regulation, stream fish, individual-based model, density-independent
- Restricted movement by mottled sculpin (Pisces: Cottidae) in a southern Appalachian stream.
- Size-dependent territoriality of mottled sculpin in a southern Appalachian stream.
- Population dynamics of mottled sculpin (PISCES) in a variable environment: information theoretic approaches
XML: View XML