Skip to Main Content
Age structure and age-related performance of sulfur cinquefoil (Potentilla recta).Author(s): Dana L. Perkins; Catherine G. Parks; Kathleen A. Dwire; Bryan A. Endress; Kelsi L. Johnson
Source: Weed Science. 54: 87-93
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (830 KB)
DescriptionAge distributions of sulfur cinquefoil populations were determined on sites that were historically grazed, cultivated, and mechanically disturbed. From 12 sites, a total of 279 reproductively active plants were collected and aged by using herbchronology (counting rings in the secondary root xylem of the root crown) to (1) estimate the age structure of the populations, (2) relate plant size and flower production to plant age, and (3) examine the relation of population age structure to environmental variables and disturbance history. Results indicated that the mean age for all sampled plants was 3.5 (± 1.74 SD) yr and ranged from 1 to 10 yr. Age was not related to number of flowers, plant size (number of stems per plant or plant height), or site disturbance type but was positively correlated with site elevation (P < 0.001). The pooled age distribution from all 12 sites was right-skewed with fewer old plants than young plants. We conclude that sulfur cinquefoil plants sampled in northeast Oregon are able to colonize, establish, and reproduce at disturbed sites rapidly. We suggest that herbchronology may be a useful technique to improve understanding of invasion biology and ecology for invasive plant species that form annual rings.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPerkins, Dana L.; Parks, Catherine G.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Endress, Bryan A.; Johnson, Kelsi L. 2006. Age structure and age-related performance of sulfur cinquefoil (Potentilla recta). Weed Science. 54: 87-93
Keywordsage determination, age distribution, demography, herbaceous perenials, population biology
- Herbicide and Native Grass Seeding Effects on Sulfur Cinquefoil (Potentilla recta)Infested Grasslands
- Seed production and dispersal of sulfur cinquefoil in northeast Oregon
- Cattle, deer, and elk grazing of the invasive plant sulfur cinquefoil
XML: View XML