Skip to Main Content
Prediction of leaf area in individual leaves of cherrybark oak seedlings (Quercus pagoda Raf.)Author(s): Yanfei Guo; Brian Lockhart; John Hodges
Source: In: Proceedings Arkansas Academy of Science, Vol. 49: 52-55
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (347 KB)
DescriptionThe prediction of leaf area for cherrybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) seedlings is important for studying the physiology of the species. Linear and polynomial models involving leaf length, width, fresh weight, dry weight, and internodal length were tested independently and collectively to predict leaf area. Twenty-nine cherrybark oak seedlings were grown in a greenhouse for one growing season and a total of 468 leaves were collected. Leaf area was polynomially related with leaf length or width, but linearly related with the cross product of length and width. Average leaf area for flush 3 was significantly greater than those of other flushes. However, variation in leaf area among flushes did not affect the models. Relationship between leaf area and length (or width) was consistent. Since leaf length is easy to measure and does not require destruction of leaves, it can be effectively used to predict leaf area in cherrybark oak seedlings.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGuo, Yanfei; Lockhart, Brian; Hodges, John. 1995. Prediction of leaf area in individual leaves of cherrybark oak seedlings (Quercus pagoda Raf.). In: Proceedings Arkansas Academy of Science, Vol. 49: 52-55
- Phytotoxic effects of cherrybark oak
- Comparative gas-exchange in leaves of intact and clipped, natural and planted cherrybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) seedlings
- Photosynthate distribution patterns in cherrybark oak seedling sprouts
XML: View XML