Skip to Main Content
Summary and synthesis: past and future changes in the Alaskan Boreal Forest.Author(s): F. Stuart Chapin; David McGuire; Roger W. Ruess; Marilyn W. Walker; Richard D. Boone; Mary E. Edwards; Bruce P. Finney; Larry D. Hinzman; Jeremy B. Jones; Glenn P. Juday; Eric S. Kasischke; Knut Kielland; Andrea H. Lloyd; Mark W. Oswood; Chien-Lu Ping; Eric Rexstad; Vladimir E. Romanovsky; Joshua P. Schimel; Elena B. Sparrow; Bjartmar Sveinbjörnsson; David W. Valentine; Keith Van Cleve; David L. Verbyla; Leslie A. Viereck; Richard A. Werner; Tricia L. Wurtz; John Yarie
Source: In: Alaska's Changing Boreal Forest: 332-338
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (560 KB)
DescriptionHistorically the boreal forest has experienced major changes, and it remains a highly dynamic biome today. During cold phases of Quaternary climate cycles, forests were virtually absent from Alaska, and since the postglacial re-establishment of forests ca 13,000 years ago, here have been periods of both relative stability and rapid change (Chapter 5). Today, the Alaskan boreal forest appears to be on the brink of further significant change in composition and function triggered by recent changes that include climatic warming (Chapter 4). In this chapter, we summarize the major conclusions from earlier chapters as a basis for anticipating future trends.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChapin, F. Stuart; McGuire, David; Ruess, Roger W.; Walker, Marilyn W.; Boone, Richard D.; Edwards, Mary E.; Finney, Bruce P.; Hinzman, Larry D.; Jones, Jeremy B.; Juday, Glenn P.; Kasischke, Eric S.; Kielland, Knut; Lloyd, Andrea H.; Oswood, Mark W.; Ping, Chien-Lu; Rexstad, Eric; Romanovsky, Vladimir E.; Schimel, Joshua P.; Sparrow, Elena B.; Sveinbjörnsson, Bjartmar; Valentine, David W.; Van Cleve, Keith; Verbyla, David L.; Viereck, Leslie A.; Werner, Richard A.; Wurtz, Tricia L.; Yarie, John. 2006. Summary and synthesis: past and future changes in the Alaskan Boreal Forest. In: Alaska''s Changing Boreal Forest: 332-338
- Modeling aspen responses to climatic warming and insect defoliation in western Canada
- Silviculture for restoration of degraded temperate and boreal forests
- Forest resources and conditions
XML: View XML