Skip to Main Content
Summary and synthesis: past and future changes in the Alaskan Boreal Forest.Author(s): F. Stuart Chapin; David McGuire; Roger W. Ruess; Marilyn W. Walker; Richard D. Boone; Mary E. Edwards; Bruce P. Finney; Larry D. Hinzman; Jeremy B. Jones; Glenn P. Juday; Eric S. Kasischke; Knut Kielland; Andrea H. Lloyd; Mark W. Oswood; Chien-Lu Ping; Eric Rexstad; Vladimir E. Romanovsky; Joshua P. Schimel; Elena B. Sparrow; Bjartmar Sveinbjörnsson; David W. Valentine; Keith Van Cleve; David L. Verbyla; Leslie A. Viereck; Richard A. Werner; Tricia L. Wurtz; John Yarie
Source: In: Alaska's Changing Boreal Forest: 332-338
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (560 KB)
DescriptionHistorically the boreal forest has experienced major changes, and it remains a highly dynamic biome today. During cold phases of Quaternary climate cycles, forests were virtually absent from Alaska, and since the postglacial re-establishment of forests ca 13,000 years ago, here have been periods of both relative stability and rapid change (Chapter 5). Today, the Alaskan boreal forest appears to be on the brink of further significant change in composition and function triggered by recent changes that include climatic warming (Chapter 4). In this chapter, we summarize the major conclusions from earlier chapters as a basis for anticipating future trends.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChapin, F. Stuart; McGuire, David; Ruess, Roger W.; Walker, Marilyn W.; Boone, Richard D.; Edwards, Mary E.; Finney, Bruce P.; Hinzman, Larry D.; Jones, Jeremy B.; Juday, Glenn P.; Kasischke, Eric S.; Kielland, Knut; Lloyd, Andrea H.; Oswood, Mark W.; Ping, Chien-Lu; Rexstad, Eric; Romanovsky, Vladimir E.; Schimel, Joshua P.; Sparrow, Elena B.; Sveinbjörnsson, Bjartmar; Valentine, David W.; Van Cleve, Keith; Verbyla, David L.; Viereck, Leslie A.; Werner, Richard A.; Wurtz, Tricia L.; Yarie, John. 2006. Summary and synthesis: past and future changes in the Alaskan Boreal Forest. In: Alaska''s Changing Boreal Forest: 332-338
- Ecosystem management and ecological restoration in the Anthropocene: integrating global change, soils, and disturbance in boreal and Mediterranean forests [Chapter 12]
- Silviculture for restoration of degraded temperate and boreal forests
- Modeling aspen responses to climatic warming and insect defoliation in western Canada
XML: View XML