Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of MM5 model resolution when applied to prediction of national fire danger rating indexesAuthor(s): Jeanne L. Hoadley; Miriam L. Rorig; Larry Bradshaw; Sue A. Ferguson; Kenneth J. Westrick; Scott L. Goodrick; Paul Werth
Source: International Journal of Wildland Fire, Vol. 15: 147-154
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (939 KB)
DescriptionWeather predictions from the MM5 mesoscale model were used to compute gridded predictions of National Fire Danger Rating System (NFDRS) indexes. The model output was applied to a case study of the 2000 fire season in Northern Idaho and Western Montana to simulate an extreme event. To determine the preferred resolution for automating NFD RS predictions, model performance was evaluated at 36, 1 2, and 4 km. For those indexes evaluated, the best results were consistently obtained for the 4-km domain, whereas the 36-km domain had the largest mean absolute errors. Although model predictions of fire danger indexes are consistently lower than observed, analysis of time series results indicates that the model does well in capturing trends and extreme changes in NFDRS indexes.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoadley, Jeanne L.; Rorig, Miriam L.; Bradshaw, Larry; Ferguson, Sue A.; Westrick, Kenneth J.; Goodrick, Scott L.; Werth, Paul. 2006. Evaluation of MM5 model resolution when applied to prediction of national fire danger rating indexes. International Journal of Wildland Fire, Vol. 15: 147-154
- Assessing the value of increased model resolution in forecasting fire danger
- The effect of model resolution in predicting meteorological parameters used in fire danger rating.
- The effect of model resolution in predicting meteorological parameters used in fire danger rating
XML: View XML