Skip to Main Content
Characterization of gut-associated bacteria in larvae and adults of the southern pine beetle, Dendroctonus frontalis ZimmermannAuthor(s): Archana Vasanthakumar; Italo Delalibera; Jo Handelsman; Kier D. Klepzig; Patrick D. Schloss; Kenneth F. Raffa
Source: Environ. Entomol., Vol. 35(6): 1710-1717
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (108 KB)
DescriptionWe report the first study of gut-associated bacteria of bark beetles using both culture dependent and culture-independent methods. These insects are major pests of pine trees but also contribute to important ecological functions such as nutrient cycling. We found members of the - and -Proteobacteria and Firmicutes in larvae of the southern pine beetle, Dendroctonus frontalis Zimmermann. Sequences from three larval guts were grouped into one to three operational taxonomic units (OTUs) at 3% difference among sequences. Communities in adult southern pine beetle guts consisted solely of members of the -Proteobacteria. These could be grouped into three to five OTUs at 3% difference between sequences. These gut communities have relatively low species richness, which may reflect the specialization needed to exploit a nutrient-poor food source, colonize a chemically complex habitat, and maintain consistent associations with mutualistic fungi. However, there is considerable variation in gut microbiota composition among individual insects, suggesting the need for additional studies on sources of variation and potential substitutability among species performing similar functions.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationVasanthakumar, Archana; Delalibera, Italo, Jr.; Handelsman, Jo; Klepzig, Kier D.; Schloss, Patrick D.; Raffa, Kenneth F. 2006. Characterization of gut-associated bacteria in larvae and adults of the southern pine beetle, Dendroctonus frontalis Zimmermann. Environ. Entomol., Vol. 35(6): 1710-1717
Keywordsbark beetle, gut microbiota, 16S ribosomal RNA, rarefaction analysis, distance-based operational taxonomic unit and richness determination
- Rock-degrading endophytic bacteria in cacti
- The Trophic Significance of Bacteria in a Detritus-Based Stream Food Web
- An insect-bacteria bioindicator for assessing detrimental nutrient enrichment in wetlands.
XML: View XML