Skip to Main Content
The enhanced forest inventory and analysis program of the USDA forest service: historical perspective and announcements of statistical documentationAuthor(s): Ronald E. McRoberts; William A. Bechtold; Paul L. Patterson; Charles T. Scott; Gregory A. Reams
Source: Journal of Forestry. 3(6): 304-308.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (531 KB)
DescriptionThe Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) program of the USDA Forest Service has initiated a transition from regional, periodic inventories to an enhanced national FIA program featuring annual measurement of a proportion of plots in each state, greater national consistency, and integration with the ground sampling component of the Forest Health Monitoring (FHM) program. The transition has required conceptual and technical changes in the statistical methodology that supports the program. This article provides a brief historical perspective on the FIA program, announces publication of the statistical documentation supporting the program, previews individual chapters in the documentation, and provides a brief discussion of areas where investigations are continuing.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcRoberts, Ronald E.; Bechtold, William A.; Patterson, Paul L.; Scott, Charles T.; Reams, Gregory A. 2005. The enhanced forest inventory and analysis program of the USDA forest service: historical perspective and announcements of statistical documentation. Journal of Forestry. 3(6): 304-308.
- Strategies to compensate for the effects of nonresponse on forest carbon baseline estimates from the national forest inventory of the United States
- Doing more with the core: Proceedings of the 2017 Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Science Stakeholder Meeting; 2017 October 24- 26; Park City, UT
- The enhanced forest inventory and analysis program - national sampling design and estimation procedures
XML: View XML