Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Investment opportunity : the FPL EGAR lumber manufacturing systemAuthor(s): George B. Harpole; Ed Williston; Hiram H. Hallock
Source: Res. Paper FPL-310. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory: 16 pages.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Forest Products Laboratory
PDF: View PDF (466 KB)
DescriptionA model of present-day computer-controlled sawmilling technology is modified for the manufacture of any desired width of EGAR dimension lumber from small logs. EGAR lumber is manufactured via headrig production of 2-inch-thick flitches which are in turn dried, edged full width, edge-glued, and gang-novelty-ripped to wide widths (EGAR). The EGAR system is compared to the unmodified version of the same computer-controlled sawmill. Both systems appear to be good investment opportunities; however, the 12 to 13 percent increase in lumber recovery gained by the EGAR system does not justify the additional investment required unless the EGAR sawmill is used to increase the amount of wide width dimension (2-by 10-in. and wider). Economic advantage of the EGAR system increases as the cost of roundwood increases relative to lumber prices.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHarpole, George B.; Williston, Ed; Hallock, Hiram H. 1979. Investment opportunity : the FPL EGAR lumber manufacturing system. Res. Paper FPL-310. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory: 16 pages.
KeywordsEconomic analysis, sawmilling, USA, investment analysis, EGAR, computer controlled sawing, dimension lumber, flitches, lumber recovery factor, small log utilization, edge-glue and rip, laminated wood
- Sawmill simulation and the best opening face system : a user`s guide
- Efficient utilization of red maple lumber in glued-laminated timber beams
- Increasing Hardwood Lumber Recovery and Value at the Edger and Trimmer
XML: View XML