Skip to Main Content
Rehabilitation of Understocked Loblolly-Shortleaf Pine Stands - IV. Natural and Planted Seedling/Sapling StandsAuthor(s): James B. Baker; Michael G. Shelton
Source: Southern Journal of Applied Forestry, Vol. 22, No. 1, February 1998. 7 p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (251 KB)
DescriptionA 3- to 6 yr-old naturally regenerated, even-aged loblollypine (Pinus taeda L.) stand and a 5- yr-old loblolly pine plantation on good sites (SIbb = 85 to 90 ft at 50 yr ) were cut to density levels of 50, 90, 180,270, and 360 seedlings and/or saplings/ac. Two pine release treatments (none and individual tree release with a herbicide) were applied to the natural stand, but were not imposed in the plantation because site preparation treatments were applied before planting. At 2,5, and 10 yr after installation, plots were inventoried to determine: (I) the lowest threshold of seedling/sapling density that was feasible to manage, (2) the time required for poorly stocked seedling/sapling stands to reach an acceptable stocking level, and (3) whether release treatments would improve survival and growth of understocked, natural seedling/sapling stands.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBaker, James B.; Shelton, Michael G. 1998. Rehabilitation of Understocked Loblolly-Shortleaf Pine Stands - IV. Natural and Planted Seedling/Sapling Stands. Southern Journal of Applied Forestry, Vol. 22, No. 1, February 1998. 7 p.
- Rehabilitation of Understocked Loblolly-Shortleaf Pine Stands - III. Natural Stands Cutover 15 Years Previously but Unmanaged
- Rehabilitation of Understocked Loblolly-Shortleaf Pine Stands - II. Development of Intermediate and Suppressed Trees Following Release in Natural Stands
- Does Prescribed Burning Have a Place in Regenerating Uneven-Aged Loblolly-Shortleaf Pine Stands?
XML: View XML