Skip to Main Content
Automating the Fireshed Assessment Process with ArcGISAuthor(s): Alan Ager; Klaus Barber
Source: In: Andrews, Patricia L.; Butler, Bret W., comps. 2006. Fuels Management-How to Measure Success: Conference Proceedings. 28-30 March 2006; Portland, OR. Proceedings RMRS-P-41. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 163-168
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (150 B)
DescriptionA library of macros was developed to automate the Fireshed process within ArcGIS. The macros link a number of vegetation simulation and wildfire behavior models (FVS, SVS, FARSITE, and FlamMap) with ESRI geodatabases, desktop software (Access, Excel), and ArcGIS. The macros provide for (1) an interactive linkage between digital imagery, vegetation data, FVS-FFE, and SVS, creating a map-based interface for designing and testing stand fuel treatments; (2) rapid scale-up of stand-specific treatments to simulate project-wide changes in vegetation and fuels; (3) data linkages between FVS outputs and FlamMap/FARSITE to allow for simulation of landscape-scale fire behavior and evaluation of fuel treatment scenarios; and (4) data linkages between FVS outputs and ArcMap for rapid mapping of FVS database outputs. The library is distributed as an ArcMap project file (.mxd) and is implemented on custom toolbars on the ArcMap interface. The system was designed to automate geospatial analyses performed in the Fireshed process to design and test fuel treatments in a collaborative setting. A beta version of ArcFuels is available from the senior author.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAger, Alan, Bahro, Bernhard; Barber, Klaus. 2006. Automating the Fireshed Assessment Process with ArcGIS. In: Andrews, Patricia L.; Butler, Bret W., comps. 2006. Fuels Management-How to Measure Success: Conference Proceedings. 28-30 March 2006; Portland, OR. Proceedings RMRS-P-41. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 163-168
Keywordsfire, fire ecology, fuels management, Fireshed Assessment Process, ArcGIS. ArcMap project file, geospatial analyses, ArcFuels
- Using ArcObjects for automating fireshed assessments and analyzing wildfire risk
- Guidebook on LANDFIRE fuels data acquisition, critique, modification, maintenance, and model calibration
- ArcFuels User Guide and Tutorial: for use with ArcGIS 9
XML: View XML