Skip to Main Content
Forest descriptions and photographs of forested areas along the breaks of the Missouri River in eastern Montana, USAAuthor(s): Theresa B. Jain; Molly Juillerat; Jonathan Sandquist; Brad Sauer; Robert Mitchell; Scott McAvoy; Justin Hanley; John David
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-186. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture,Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 51 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (6.52 MB)
DescriptionThis handbook presents information and photographs obtained from forest lands along the breaks of the Missouri River in eastern Montana. Forest characteristics summarized in tables with accompanying photographs can be used to provide quick estimates of species composition and densities within similar landscape features. These estimates may be useful to foresters, wildlife biologists, range ecologists, and fire and fuel specialists. The book is organized by six physiographic positions: 1) waterways (ravines or gullies), 2) south aspects < 25 percent slope angle, 3) south aspect > 25 percent slope angle, 4) north aspects < 25 percent slope angle, 5) north aspects > 25 percent slope angle, and 6) ridges or benches. Within each physiographic position, sites containing three overstory densities are represented. Inventory data describes the forest floor, ground-level vegetation, tree density, average crown ratio, canopy base height, and other characteristics; two photographs (close and distant view) provide a visual image and accompany the quantitative descriptions.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJain, Theresa B.; Juillerat, Molly; Sandquist, Jonathan; Sauer, Brad; Mitchell, Robert; McAvoy, Scott; Hanley, Justin; and David, John. 2007. Forest descriptions and photographs of forested areas along the breaks of the Missouri River in eastern Montana, USA. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-186. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture,Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 51 p.
Keywordsforested areas, Missouri River, forest characteristics, photographs
- Vegetation and soil effects from prescribed, wild, and combined fire events along a ponderosa pine and grassland mosaic
- Combining FIA plot data with topographic variables: Are precise locations needed?
- Wood properties of immature ponderosa pine after thinning
XML: View XML