Skip to Main Content
The effect of Appalachian mountaintop mining on interior forestAuthor(s): J.D. Wickham; Kurt H. Riitters; T.G. Wade; M. Coan; C. Homer
Source: Landscape Ecol., Vol. 22: 179-187
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (540 KB)
DescriptionSouthern Appalachian forests are predominantly interior because they are spatially extensive with little disturbance imposed by other uses of the land. Appalachian mountaintop mining increased substantially during the 1990s, posing a threat to the interior character of the forest. We used spatial convolution to identify interior forest at multiple scales on circa 1992 and 2001 land-cover maps of the Southern Appalachians. Our analyses show that interior forest loss was 1.75–5.0 times greater than the direct forest loss attributable to mountaintop mining. Mountaintop mining in the southern Appalachians has reduced forest interior area more extensively than the reduction that would be expected based on changes in overall forest area alone. The loss of Southern Appalachian interior forest is of global significance because of the worldwide rarity of large expanses of temperate deciduous forest.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWickham, J.D.; Riitters, Kurt H.; Wade, T.G.; Coan, M.; Homer, C. 2007. The effect of Appalachian mountaintop mining on interior forest. Landscape Ecol., Vol. 22: 179-187
KeywordsAppalachian mountains, coal mining, edge effects, forest loss, interior forest
- Responses of Terrestrial Herpetofauna to Persistent, Novel Ecosystems Resulting from Mountaintop Removal Mining
- The Forestry Reclamation Approach: guide to successful reforestation of mined lands
- American elm in mine land reforestation
XML: View XML