Skip to Main Content
Sensitivity of selected landscape pattern metrics to land-cover misclassification and differences in land-cover compositionAuthor(s): James D. Wickham; Robert V. O'Neill; Kurt H. Riitters; Timothy G. Wade; K. Bruce Jones
Source: Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Vol. 63:397-402
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.68 MB)
DescriptionCalculation of landscape metrics from land-cover data is becoming increasingly common. Some studies have shown that these measurements are sensitive to differences in land-cover composition, but none are known to have tested also their a sensitivity to land-cover misclassification. An error simulation model was written to test the sensitivity of selected land-scape pattern metrics to misclassification, and regression analysis was used to determine if these metrics were significantly related to differences in land-cover composition. Comparison of sensitivity and regression results suggests that differences in land-cover composition need to be about 5 percent greater than the misclassification rate to be confident that differences in landscape metrics are not due to misclassification.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWickham, James D.; O''Neill, Robert V.; Riitters, Kurt H.; Wade, Timothy G.; Jones, K. Bruce. 1997. Sensitivity of selected landscape pattern metrics to land-cover misclassification and differences in land-cover composition. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Vol. 63:397-402
- Evaluating ecoregions for sampling and mapping land-cover patterns
- Evaluating the relative roles of ecological regions and land-cover composition for guiding establishment of nutrient criteria
- Land Cover as a Framework For Assessing the Risk of Water Pollution
XML: View XML