Skip to Main Content
Development of a basal area growth system for maritime pine in northwestern Spain using the generalized algebraic difference approachAuthor(s): Marcos Barrio Anta; Fernando Castedo Dorado; Ulises Dieguez-Aranda; Juan G. Alvarez Gonzalez; Bernard R. Parresol; Roque Rodriguez Soalleiro
Source: Can. J. For. Res., Vol. 26: 1461-1474
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (459 KB)
DescriptionA basal area growth system for single-species, even-aged maritime pine (Pinus pinaster Ait.) stands in Galicia (northwestern Spain) was developed from data of 212 plots measured between one and four times. Six dynamic equations were considered for analysis, and both numerical and graphical methods were used to compare alternative models. The double cross-validation approach was used to assess the predictive ability of the models. The data were best described by a dynamic equation derived from the Korf growth function using the generalized algebraic difference approach (GADA) by considering two parameters to be site specific. The equation was fitted in one stage using the base-age-invariant dummy variables method. In addition, the system incorporates a function for predicting initial stand basal area, in which the site-related variable was expressed as a power function of site index. This function can be used to establish the starting point for the projection equation when no inventory data are available. The two equations are compatible. The effect of thinning on basal area growth was examined; the results showed that there was no need to use a different equation to reliably predict post thinning basal area development. The nonlinear extra sum of squares method indicated differences in the model parameters for the two ecoregions (coastal and interior) defined for this species in the area of study.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAnta, Marcos Barrio; Dorado, Fernando Castedo; Dieguez-Aranda, Ulises; Alvarez Gonzalez,Juan G.; Parresol, Bernard R.; Soalleiro, Roque Rodriguez. 2006. Development of a basal area growth system for maritime pine in northwestern Spain using the generalized algebraic difference approach. Can. J. For. Res., Vol. 26: 1461-1474
- A simultaneous growth and yield model for loblolly pine
- Development of a shortleaf pine individual-tree growth equation using non-linear mixed modeling techniques
- Direct seeding of brushbox, lemon-gum eucalyptus, and cluster pine in Hawaii
XML: View XML