Skip to Main Content
A comparison of chronologies from tree ringsAuthor(s): Kurt H. Riitters
Source: Can. J. For. Res., Vol. 20: 76-83
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (141 KB)
DescriptionForty-five-year ring width index chronologies were estimated by five mean-value functions applied to 183 ring width series from four similar sites. The effects of autocorrelation on the comparisons among mean-value functions were explored by fitting box-Jenkins models to individual-tree index services prior to pooling (prewhitening), and to the pooled chronologies obtained from the mean-value functions (postwhitening). Among the mean-value functions tested, the principal component scores and the biweight yielded the highest cross correlations between chronologies from different sites, whereas the average, the median, and the median polish did not perform as well. Prewhitening and postwhitending tended to decrease both intersite correlations and correlations between chronologies from different mean-value functions for the same site.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRiitters, Kurt H. 1990. A comparison of chronologies from tree rings. Can. J. For. Res., Vol. 20: 76-83
- Winter in the Ouachitas--a severe winter storm signature in Pinus echinata in the Ouachita Mountains of Oklahoma and Arkansas, USA
- Relationships between climate, radial growth and wood properties of mature loblolly pine in Hawaii and a northern and southern site in the southeastern United States
- Summer solstice marks a seasonal shift in temperature sensitivity of stem growth and nitrogen-use efficiency in cold-limited forests
XML: View XML