Skip to Main Content
Cavity-nesting bird use of nest boxes in vineyards of central-coast CaliforniaAuthor(s): Daniel P. Mummert; Laura Baines; William D. Tietje
Source: In: Standiford, Richard B., et al, tech. editor. Proceedings of the Fifth Symposium on Oak Woodlands: Oaks in California's Challenging Landscape. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-184, Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture: 335-340
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (240 KB)
DescriptionOak woodland habitat is being degraded or replaced by vineyards in many areas of central-coastal California. Oak woodlands are home to many insectivorous, cavity-nesting birds that would be beneficial in and around vineyards. During March to June 2001, we used bluebird nest boxes to study nest box use and productivity of cavity-nesting birds in vineyards versus adjacent oak woodlands. In February 2001, we placed 18 nest boxes 50 m apart in vineyards and in adjacent oak woodland at four woodland/vineyard paired sites in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties. During April to June, we visited the sites 10 times for a total of 720 nest box checks. Boxes were used by two species of cavity-nesting birds in vineyards and six species in woodlands. Nest box occupancy, clutch size, and number of nestlings were nearly equal within and outside the vineyards. This study provides preliminary evidence that nest boxes may help mitigate oak woodland habitat loss by vineyard development in central-coastal California.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMummert, Daniel P.; Baines, Laura; Tietje, William D. 2002. Cavity-nesting bird use of nest boxes in vineyards of central-coast California. In: Standiford, Richard B., et al, tech. editor. Proceedings of the Fifth Symposium on Oak Woodlands: Oaks in California''s Challenging Landscape. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-184, Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture: 335-340
- Examining effects of vineyard development on bird populations of California's oak woodlands--use of GIS and power analysis to select study sites
- Proceedings of the seventh California oak symposium: managing oak woodlands in a dynamic world
- Vegetative characteristics and relationships in the oak savannas of the Southwestern Borderlands
XML: View XML