Skip to Main Content
Mapping fire scars in a southern African savannah using Landsat imageryAuthor(s): A. T. Hudak; B. H. Brockett
Source: International Journal of Remote Sensing. 25(16): 3231-3243.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (498.66 KB)
DescriptionThe spectral, spatial and temporal characteristics of the Landsat data record make it appropriate for mapping fire scars. Twenty-two annual fire scar maps from 1972-2002 were produced from historical Landsat imagery for a semi-arid savannah landscape on the South Africa-Botswana border, centred over Madikwe Game Reserve (MGR) in South Africa. A principal components transformation (PCT) helped differentiate the spectral signal of fire scars in each image. A simple, nonparametric, supervised classification (parallelepiped) of the PCT data differentiated burned and unburned areas. During most years, fire occurrences and the percentage of area burned annually were lowest in Botswana, highest in MGR, and intermediate in South Africa outside MGR. These fire scar maps are aiding MGR managers, who are endeavouring to restore a more active fire regime following decades of fire exclusion.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHudak, A. T., Brockett, B. H. 2004. Mapping fire scars in a southern African savannah using Landsat imagery. International Journal of Remote Sensing. 25(16): 3231-3243.
Keywordsfire scars, Africa, savannah, Landsat, spectral, spatial and temporal characteristics, principal components transformation (PCT)
- Trends in fire patterns in a southern African savanna under alternative land use practices
- Fire scar mapping in a southern African savanna
- Production of Landsat ETM+ reference imagery of burned areas within Southern African savannahs: comparison of methods and application to MODIS
XML: View XML