Skip to Main Content
Sensitivity of Landsat image-derived burn severity indices to immediate post-fire effectsAuthor(s): A. T. Hudak; S. Lewis; P. Robichaud; P. Morgan; M. Bobbitt; L. Lentile; A. Smith; Z. Holden; J. Clark; R. McKinley
Source: In: 3rd International Fire Ecology and Management Congress Proceedings. CD-ROM. 3 p.
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (111.68 KB)
DescriptionThe USFS Remote Sensing Applications Center (RSAC) and the USGS Center for Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS) produce Burned Area Reflectance Classification (BARC) maps as a rapid, preliminary indication of burn severity on large wildfire events. Currently the preferred burn severity index is the delta Normalized Burn Ratio (dNBR), which requires NBR values from both immediate post-fire and pre-fire Landsat images, the preferred satellite image source. The objective was to compare NBR, dNBR, and other indices with potential to indicate burn severity, using as the evaluation measure the correlation strength between the burn severity indices (BSI) and post-fire effects (PFE) measured on the ground.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHudak, A. T.; Lewis, S.; Robichaud, P.; Morgan, P.; Bobbitt, M.; Lentile, L.; Smith, A.; Holden, Z.; Clark, J.; McKinley, R. 2006. Sensitivity of Landsat image-derived burn severity indices to immediate post-fire effects. In: 3rd International Fire Ecology and Management Congress Proceedings. CD-ROM. 3 p.
KeywordsLandsat, burn severity, post-fire effects, Remote Sensing Applications Center (RSAC), Center for Earth Resources Observation and Science (EROS), delta Normalized Burn Ratio (dNBR)
- The relationship of multispectral satellite imagery to immediate fire effects
- Field validation of Burned Area Reflectance Classification (BARC) products for post fire assessment
- Modeling of multi-strata forest fire severity using Landsat TM data
XML: View XML