Skip to Main Content
Logging residue in Washington, Oregon, California: volume and characteristics.Author(s): James O. Howard
Source: Res. Bull. PNW-RB-044. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 31 p
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (3.76 MB)
DescriptionThis report makes available data on the volume and characteristics of logging residue resulting from 1969 logging operations in Oregon, Washington, and California.
The results indicate highest volumes of logging residue are found in the Douglas-fir region of western Oregon and western Washington. Average gross volume of residue in this region ranged from 4,548 cubic feet per acre on National Forest land to 1,491 cubic feet per acre on private land; net volume averaged 3,127 and 1,328 cubic feet per acre, respectively. Total net volume for all owners in this region was estimated to be about 460 million cubic feet for 1969. The lowest average volume of logging residue was found in the ponderosa pine region of eastern Oregon and eastern Washington--gross aver aged between 350 and 400 cubic feet per acre for all owners. In California, gross volume averaged 1,905 cubic feet per acre for private lands and 1,460 cubic feet per acre for National Forests.
Additional information is provided concerning the average and total volume of residue by diameter class, length class, soundness, and type of material.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoward, James O. 1973. Logging residue in Washington, Oregon, California: volume and characteristics. Res. Bull. PNW-RB-044. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 31 p
Keywordsslash, logging, wood waste, Oregon, Washington, California
- Volume of logging residues in Oregon, Washington, and Californiainitial results from a 1969-70 study.
- New Mexico’s forest resources, 2008-2014
- Arizona’s forest resources, 2001-2014
XML: View XML