Skip to Main Content
SBexpert users guide (version 1.0): a knowledge-based decision-support system for spruce beetle management.Author(s): Keith M. Reynolds; Edward H. Holsten; Richard A. Werner
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-345. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (5.0 MB)
DescriptionSBexpert version 1.0 is a knowledge-based decision-support system for spruce beetle (Dendroctonus rutipennis (Kby.)) management developed for use in Microsoft Windows with the KnowledgePro Windows development language. The SBexpert users guide provides detailed instructions on the use of all SBexpert features. SBexpert has four main topics (subprograms): Introduction, Analysis, Textbook, and Literature. Introduction is the first of five subtopics in the SBexpert help system. Analysis is an advisory system for spruce beetle management that provides recommendations for reducing spruce beetle hazard and risk to spruce stands and is the main analytical topic in SBexpert. Textbook and Literature provide complementary decision support for Analysis. Textbook provides background information on the biology, ecology, and management of spruce beetles. Literature provides database utilities for retrieving literature citations. A separate utility program, SBIit.CKB, allows users to update the literature database. Basic features of the SBexpert system include an intuitive graphical user interface, efficient presentation and retrieval of information through hypertext and hypergraphics, easy access to an extensive help system for Microsoft Windows system-level help, topic- and window-specific help, a text editor that facilitates preparing standard reports from Textbook, and automatic report generation in Analysis.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationReynolds, Keith M.; Holsten, Edward H.; Werner, Richard A. 1994. SBexpert users guide (version 1.0): a knowledge-based decision-support system for spruce beetle management. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-345. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station
Keywordsspruce beetle, risk, hazard, decision support, knowledge base, expert system, management
- SBexpert users guide (version 2.0): a knowledge-based decision-support system for spruce beetle management.
- Relationships between forest structure, composition, site, and spruce beetle occurrence in the Intermountain West
- Spectral evidence of early-stage spruce beetle infestation in Engelmann spruce
XML: View XML