Skip to Main Content
Levels-of-growing-stock cooperative study on Douglas-fir: report no. 02The Hoskins Study, 1963-1970.Author(s): John F. Bell; Alan B. Berg
Source: Res. Pap. PNW-RP-130. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 24 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (2.70 MB)
DescriptionPublic and private agencies are cooperating in a study of eight thinning regimes in young Douglas-fir stands. Regimes differ in the amount of basal area allowed to accrue in growing stock at each successive thinning. All regimes start with a common level-of-growing-stock which is established by a conditioning thinning.
Thinning interval is controlled by height growth of crop trees, and a single type of thinning is prescribed.
Nine study areas, each involving three completely random replications of each thinning regime and an unthinned control, have been established in western Oregon and Washington, U.S.A., and Vancouver Island, Canada. Site quality of these areas varies from I through IV.
Climatic and soil characteristics for each area and data for the stand after the conditioning thinning are described briefly.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBell, John F.; Berg, Alan B. 1972. Levels-of-growing-stock cooperative study on Douglas-fir: report no. 02The Hoskins Study, 1963-1970. Res. Pap. PNW-RP-130. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 24 p
Keywordsthinnings, stand growth, Douglas-fir, forest improvement cutting
- Levels-of-growing-stock cooperative study on Douglas-fir: report No. 5—the Hoskins study, 1963-1975. Res. Pap. PNW-RP-257
- Levels-of-growing-stock cooperative study in Douglas-fir: report no. 07—Preliminary results, Stampede Creek, and some comparisons with Iron Creek and Hoskins.
- Levels-of-growing-stock cooperative study in Douglas-fir: report no. 17The Skykomish Study, 1961–93; The Clemons study, 1963–94.
XML: View XML