Skip to Main Content
Users guide for seeds of western trees and shrubs.Author(s): William I. Stein; Rodger Danielson; Nancy Shaw; Scott Wolff; David Gerdes
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-193. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 51 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (3.0 MB)
DescriptionBecause the role of tree and shrub seed is indispensable in the renewal of forests and ranges, their identity and quality are critically important. This guide briefly covers recommended practices for maintaining the identity of seeds, for sampling them, and for testing them for quality. Practices associated with the testing and use of tree seed have developed over many years, whereas those for shrub seed are just developing. Selected references, excerpts from official seed testing rules, addresses of seed testing laboratories, and sources of information for shrub seed are included.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStein, William I.; Danielson, Rodger; Shaw, Nancy; Wolff, Scott; Gerdes, David. 1986. Users guide for seeds of western trees and shrubs. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-193. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 51 p
Keywordsseed (tree), seed (shrub), seed testing, seed quality
- Provisional tree seed zones and transfer guidelines for Alaska.
- Relating seed treatments to nursery performance: Experience with southern pines
- Native shrub seed industries in the western United States and Australia: Status and outlook
XML: View XML