Skip to Main Content
Timber products output and timber harvests in Alaska: projections for 1989-2010.Author(s): David J. Brooks; Richard W. Haynes
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-261. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 54 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (3.0 MB)
DescriptionProjections of Alaska timber products output and timber harvest by owner were developed by using a detailed, trend-based analysis. Historical data for 1965-88 were the basis for projections for 1989-2010. Projections of timber products output for each major product (export logs, sawn wood, and market pulp) were used to compute the derived demand for timber. The assumptions these projections depend on include the level of harvest by Alaska Native corporations, sawn-wood consumption in Japan, and exports of market pulp. Potential harvest from Alaska National Forests (primarily the Tongass National Forest) Is calculated as the volume of timber that balances the derived demand, given harvest by other owners. Total harvest in Alaska is expected to average 660 million board feet per year during the early 1990s and 545 million board feet per year between 1995 and 2005. Projected) demand is such that. harvest from Alaska National Forests can remain roughly constant at 400 million board feet per year from 1990 to 2010. The sensitivity of these projections to changes in major assumptions is examined.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBrooks, David J.; Haynes, Richard W. 1990. Timber products output and timber harvests in Alaska: projections for 1989-2010. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-261. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 54 p
Keywordssupply and demand, production, trade, Pacific Rim, National Forests
- An analysis of the timber situation in Alaska: 1970-2010.
- Timber products output and timber harvests in Alaska: projections for 2005-25
- Timber products output and timber harvests in Alaska: projections for 1997-2010.
XML: View XML