Skip to Main Content
Timber resources and the timber economy of Okanogan County, Washington.Author(s): Charles L. Bolsinger
Source: Res. Bull. PNW-RB-058. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 37 p
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.7 MB)
DescriptionIn 1972, forest industries in Okanogan County, Washington, accounted for 23 percent of total employment and 29 percent of wages paid. Total forest industrial employment has increased since 1953 but represents a smaller proportion of total employment in the county due to the increase in other industries, mainly construction and trade. Timber harvest has nearly doubled since 1953, from 116 million board feet (Scribner scale) to 198 million. In 1972, 90 percent of the timber harvest was from public lands compared with 76 percent in 1953.
Timber supplies are projected to decline slightly-about 4 percent-by the year 2020, though the value is expected to increase about threefold. Employment in forest industries is projected to decline about 60 percent by the year 2020, but forest industrial payrolls only 27 percent.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBolsinger, Charles L. 1975. Timber resources and the timber economy of Okanogan County, Washington. Res. Bull. PNW-RB-058. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 37 p
Keywordsforest surveys, employment (forest labor), Washington (Okanogan County)
- The timber resources of the Blue Mountain area, Oregon.
- 1965 Oregon timber harvest.
- Timber resources of the Puget Sound area, Washington.
XML: View XML