Skip to Main Content
Volume of logging residues in Oregon, Washington, and Californiainitial results from a 1969-70 study.Author(s): James O. Howard
Source: Res. Note PNW-RN-163. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 8 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (370 KB)
DescriptionA study conducted during 1969-70 in Oregon, Washington, and California indicates that the average net volume of logging residues ranged from 325 to 3,156 cubic feet per acre. The highest volume was on National Forests in the Douglas-fir region, which averaged 2.5 times greater than private lands. The lowest volumes of residue were found in the ponderosa pine region where both private and public lands averaged between 325 and 375 cubic feet per acre. Private lands in California averaged 1,558 cubic feet per acre, while National Forests averaged 1,206 cubic feet per acre. The total net volume of logging residues for all regions was 908 million cubic feet, about 26 percent of the reported 1969 log harvest. In the Douglas-fir region total net volume was 465 million cubic feet, which amounted to 50 percent of the wood consumption by the pulp and board industries in western Oregon and western Washington for 1961.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHoward, James O. 1971. Volume of logging residues in Oregon, Washington, and Californiainitial results from a 1969-70 study. Res. Note PNW-RN-163. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 8 p
Keywordslogging slash, wood waste, waste utilization
- Logging residue in Washington, Oregon, California: volume and characteristics.
- New Mexico’s forest resources, 2008-2014
- High yields from young-growth ponderosa pine.
XML: View XML