Skip to Main Content
Soil and Water Indicators of the Sustainable Rangelands RoundtableAuthor(s): M.G. Sherm Karl; D.A. Pyke; P.T. Tueller; G.E. Schuman; R.W. Shafer; S.J. Borchard; D.T. Booth; W.G. Ypsilantis; R.H. Jr. Barrett
Source: In: Aguirre-Bravo, C.; Pellicane, Patrick J.; Burns, Denver P.; and Draggan, Sidney, Eds. 2006. Monitoring Science and Technology Symposium: Unifying Knowledge for Sustainability in the Western Hemisphere Proceedings RMRS-P-42CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 121-131
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (350 B)
DescriptionThe Sustainable Rangelands Roundtable (SRR) has explicitly included conservation and maintenance of soil and water resources as a criterion, a category of conditions or processes that can be assessed nationally to determine if the current level of rangeland management will ensure sustainability. Within the soil/water criterion, 10 indicators, 5 soil-based and 5 water-based, were developed through the expert opinions of rangeland scientists, rangeland management agency personnel, non-governmental organization representatives, practitioners, and other interested stakeholders. Out of these 10, 5 were judged by the soil/water criterion group members as being most expedient for a future national level U.S.A. report on rangeland sustainability. The soil and water indicators are not inclusive, but provide a suite of variables, that when complemented with indicators from the 4 other criteria of SRR, produce a viable system to monitor at the national level the biophysical, social, and economic characteristics indicating trends of sustainability on rangelands.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKarl, M.G. Sherm; Pyke, D.A.; Tueller, P.T.; Schuman, G.E.; Shafer, R.W.; Borchard, S.J.; Booth, D.T.; Ypsilantis, W.G.; Barrett, R.H. Jr. 2006. Soil and Water Indicators of the Sustainable Rangelands Roundtable. In: Aguirre-Bravo, C.; Pellicane, Patrick J.; Burns, Denver P.; and Draggan, Sidney, Eds. 2006. Monitoring Science and Technology Symposium: Unifying Knowledge for Sustainability in the Western Hemisphere Proceedings RMRS-P-42CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 121-131
Keywordsmonitoring, assessment, sustainability, Western Hemisphere, sustainable management, ecosystem resources, soil and water indicators, Sustainable Rangelands Roundtable (SRR)
- Criterion I: Soil and water conservation on rangelands [Chapter 2]
- Criterion V: Legal, institutional, and economic framework for rangeland conservation and sustainable management [Chapter 6]
- Criterion II: Indicators for conservation and maintenance of plant and animal resources on rangelands (Chapter 3)
XML: View XML