Skip to Main Content
Invasive exotic plant species in Sierra Nevada ecosystemsAuthor(s): Carla M. D'Antonio; Eric L. Berlow; Karen L. Haubensak
Source: In: Murphy, Dennis D. and Stine, Peter A., editors. Proceedings of the Sierra Nevada Science Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-193. Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture: 175-184
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (290 KB)
DescriptionThe Sierra Nevada is a topographically and floristically diverse region of the western United States. While it comprises only a fifth of the total land area of California, half of the native plant species in the state occur within the range. In addition, more than 400 plant species are endemic to the Sierra Nevada and many of these are listed as threatened or have other special conservation status (Shevock 1996). As in many areas of the world, the biodiversity of the Sierra Nevada region is undergoing change due to alterations in human uses and fire regimes, climate change, and invasions by non-native species. This paper provides an overview of invasive non-native plants and potential threats they pose to currently held values for Sierra Nevada ecosystems.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationD''Antonio, Carla M.; Berlow, Eric L.; Haubensak, Karen L. 2004. Invasive exotic plant species in Sierra Nevada ecosystems. In: Murphy, Dennis D. and Stine, Peter A., editors. Proceedings of the Sierra Nevada Science Symposium. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-193. Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture: 175-184
- An overview of the Southern Nevada Agency Partnership Science and Research Synthesis [Chapter 1]
- Biosphere and atmosphere interactions in Sierra Nevada forests
- Sierra Nevada Ecosystem Project
XML: View XML