Skip to Main Content
A western larch-engelmann spruce spacing study in eastern Oregon: results after 10 years.Author(s): K.W. Seidel
Source: Res. Note PNW-RN-409. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 5 p
Publication Series: Resource Bulletin (RB)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (510 KB)
DescriptionThe 10-year growth response from a spacing study in an even-aged stand of western larch (Larix occidentalis Nutt.) and Engelmann spruce (Picea engelmannii Parry ex Engelm.), thinned at age 10 to 9- and 15-foot spacings, was measured in eastern Oregon. Both basal area and total cubic volume increment per acre increased at the narrower spacing while diameter growth per tree was less than at the wider spacing. Height growth was not affected by spacings. Larch grew about twice as fast as spruce in height and diameter resulting in the development of a stratified two-storied stand.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSeidel, K.W. 1984. A western larch-engelmann spruce spacing study in eastern Oregon: results after 10 years. Res. Note PNW-RN-409. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 5 p
Keywordsgrowth response, thinnings (-stand volume), spacing thinnings, thinning effects, western larch, Larix occidentalis, Engelmann spruce, Picea engelmannii, eastern Oregon
- Progress report on the rate of deterioration of beetle-killed Engelmann spruce in Colorado
- Preliminary lumber recovery for dead and live Engelmann spruce.
- Silvical characteristics of Engelmann spruce
XML: View XML