Skip to Main Content
Assessment and maintenance of a 15 year old stress-laminated timber bridgeAuthor(s): T. Russell Gentry; Karl N. Brohammer; John Wells; James P. Wacker
Source: Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Short and Medium Span Bridges 2006, 2006 August 23-25, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Montreal, Quebec, Canada : Canadian Society for Civil Engineering: pages RE-012-1--RE-012-10.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (463 KB)
DescriptionA timber bridge consisting of three 6.7 meter spans with a stress laminated deck was constructed in 1991 in the Spirit Creek State Forest near August, Georgia, USA. The stress laminated bridge uses a series of post-tensioning bars to hold the laminations together. The bridge remained in service until 2001 with no maintenance, at which time the bridge was inspected, load tested and the post-tensioning bars re-stressed. In 2005, the bridge was again inspected, load tested, and the bars were re-tensioned. This paper reports on results of the inspection and load tests. The overall condition of the bridge is reported, along with details on the moisture condition, overall deck deflection and timber strains under load. Details on the loss of post-tensioning forces in the bars, and an investigation of the causes of this loss, are presented.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGentry, T. Russell; Brohammer, Karl N.; Wells, John; Wacker, James P. 2006. Assessment and maintenance of a 15 year old stress-laminated timber bridge. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Short and Medium Span Bridges 2006, 2006 August 23-25, Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Montreal, Quebec, Canada : Canadian Society for Civil Engineering: pages RE-012-1--RE-012-10.
KeywordsLaminated wood, bridges, floors, nondestructive testing, dead loads, testing, inspection, wooden bridges, moisture, glulam timbers, static loads, laminated bridges, stress-laminated bridges, timber bridges
- In situ materials and structural assessment of stress-laminated deck bridge treated with chromate copper arsenate
- Field performance of timber bridges. 7, Connell Lake stress-laminated deck bridge
- Field performance of timber bridges. 9, Big Erick`s stress-laminated deck bridge
XML: View XML