Skip to Main Content
Growth and biomass distribution of cherrybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) seedlings as influenced by light availabilityAuthor(s): Emile S. Gardiner; John D. Hodges
Source: Forest Ecology and Management. 108: 127-134.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (262 B)
DescriptionCherrybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) seedlings were established and raised in the field under four light levels (100 percent. 53 percent, 27 percent or 8 percent of full sunlight) to study the effects of light availability on their shoot growth, biomass accumulation. and biomass distribution. After two growing seasons, greatest stem growth was observed on seedlings which received intermediate light levels, and this growth was associated to a greater accumulation of total seedling biomass and a distribution pattern which balanced accumulation of root and shoot biomass. In contrast, less biomass accumulation and a biomass distribution pattern that favored root growth over stem growth were characteristic of seedlings receiving full sunlight. These results suggest that regeneration of cherrybark oak on mesic sites may be limited by preferential root growth, but reproduction of this species may be amenable to silvicultural practices that improve the light environment through stand manipulation.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGardiner, Emile S.; Hodges, John D. 1998. Growth and biomass distribution of cherrybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) seedlings as influenced by light availability. Forest Ecology and Management. 108: 127-134.
- Prediction of leaf area in individual leaves of cherrybark oak seedlings (Quercus pagoda Raf.)
- Comparative gas-exchange in leaves of intact and clipped, natural and planted cherrybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) seedlings
- Effects of Light Regimes on the Growth of Cherrybark Oak Seedlings
XML: View XML