Skip to Main Content
A tutorial on the piecewise regression approach applied to bedload transport dataAuthor(s): Sandra E. Ryan; Laurie S. Porth
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-189. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 41 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (705.95 KB)
DescriptionThis tutorial demonstrates the application of piecewise regression to bedload data to define a shift in phase of transport so that the reader may perform similar analyses on available data. The use of piecewise regression analysis implicitly recognizes different functions fit to bedload data over varying ranges of flow. The transition from primarily low rates of sand transport (Phase I) to higher rates of sand and coarse gravel transport (Phase II) is termed "breakpoint" and is defined as the flow where the fitted functions intersect. The form of the model used here fits linear segments to different ranges of data, though other types of functions may be used. Identifying the transition in phases is one approach used for defining flow regimes that are essential for self-maintenance of alluvial gravel bed channels. First, the statistical theory behind piecewise regression analysis and its procedural approaches are presented. The reader is then guided through an example procedure and the code for generating an analysis in SAS is outlined. The results from piecewise regression analysis from a number of additional bedload datasets are presented to help the reader understand the range of estimated values and confidence limits on the breakpoint that the analysis provides. The identification and resolution of problems encountered in bedload datasets are also discussed. Finally, recommendations on a minimal number of samples required for the analysis are proposed.
Dataset for this publication
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRyan, Sandra E.; Porth, Laurie S. 2007. A tutorial on the piecewise regression approach applied to bedload transport data. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-189. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 41 p.
KeywordsPiecewise linear regression, breakpoint, bedload transport
- Defining phases of bedload transport using piecewise regression
- Measurement of coarse gravel and cobble transport using portable bedload traps
- A comparison of coarse bedload transport measured with bedload traps and Helley Smith samplers
XML: View XML