Skip to Main Content
Cherrybark oak stump sprout survival and development five years following plantation thinning in the lower Mississippi alluvial valley, USAAuthor(s): Brian Roy Lockhart; Jim L. Chambers
Source: New forests, Vol. 33: 183-192
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (148 KB)
DescriptionCherrybark oak (Quercus pagoda Raf.) stump sprouts were studied for 5 years in a 30-year-old plantation thinned to 70–75% stocking (light thinning) and 45–50% stocking (heavy thinning). Sprouting success, survival, number of sprouts per stump, and sprout height differed little between thinning treatments throughout the 5-year study period. Pre-harvest tree d.b.h. also had no influence on sprout survival and development. A 2-year drought reduced survival and may have influenced sprout development. Sprout clump survival dropped from 90% 1 year following thinning to 46% 3 years after thinning. Although sprout height averaged 337 cm 5 years after thinning, annual sprout growth decreased from 166 cm the first year after thinning to 33 cm in each of the last 2 growing seasons. Results indicated that bottomland hardwood regeneration evaluation models may underestimate the potential of oak stump sprouts to contribute to pre-harvest regeneration assessments. Further study in the role of stump sprouts to regenerate bottomland oak species is needed.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLockhart, Brian Roy; Chambers, Jim L. 2007. Cherrybark oak stump sprout survival and development five years following plantation thinning in the lower Mississippi alluvial valley, USA. New forests, Vol. 33: 183-192
KeywordsQuercus pagoda Raf., stump sprouts, sprouting success, height growth
- Stump Sprouting 2 Years After Thinning in a Cherrybark Oak Plantation
- Effects of light regime and season of clipping on the growth of cherrybark oak, white oak, persimmon, and sweetgum sprouts
- Phytotoxic effects of cherrybark oak
XML: View XML