Skip to Main Content
Wood products used in the construction of low-rise nonresidential buildings in the United States, 2003Author(s): David B. McKeever; Craig Adair; Jennifer O'Connor
Source: Tacoma, WA : Wood Products Council, 2005.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (1.5 MB)
DescriptionLow-rise nonresidential building construction is an important market for lumber, structural wood panels, nonstructural wood panels, and engineered wood products in the United States. This report examines low-rise nonresidential buildings of four or fewer stories only, because buildings with five or more stories are normally severely restricted by building code from being wood framed. In 2003, 1,324 million board feet of lumber, 56 million bf of glulam timber, 2,293 million square feet, 3/8-in. basis, of structural panels, 76 million square feet, 3/8-in. basis of nonstructural panels, 49 million linear feet of wood I-joists, and nearly 3 million cubic feet of structural composite lumber were used to construct 82,000 new buildings or additions, and in the alterations and renovations of numerous existing buildings. Included are the construction of entirely new buildings, major additions to, or in conjunction with, existing buildings, and alterations and renovations to existing buildings. Volumes include allowances for onsite waste and loss. Not included are the amounts of wood used for facilitation (concrete forms, shoring, etc.) and millwork. Farm construction and nonbuilding construction, such as bridges, dams, and highways, were not included in this study.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMcKeever, David B.; Adair, Craig; O''Connor, Jennifer. 2005. Wood products used in the construction of low-rise nonresidential buildings in the United States, 2003. Tacoma, WA : Wood Products Council, 2005.
KeywordsSupply and demand, market surveys, United States, wooden-frame buildings, wooden buildings, forest products, statistics, economic analysis, wood construction, wood utilization
- Wood products used in the construction of low-rise nonresidential buildings in the United States, 2008
- A profile of the nonresidential nonbuilding construction market for lumber and plywood
- Wood used in residential repair and remodeling in the United States, 2014
XML: View XML