Skip to Main Content
Phylogenetic studies of Terfezia pfeilii and Choiromyces echinulatus (Pezizales) support new genera for southern African truffles: Kalaharituber and Eremiomyces.Author(s): Yael Ferdman; Sharon Aviram; Nurit Roth-Bejerano; James M. Trappe; Varda Kagan-Zur
Source: Mycology Research. 109(2): 237-245
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (850 KB)
DescriptionThe ITS region including the 5.8S rRNA gene as well as the 5' end of the 28S rRNA gene of hypogeous Pezizaceae and Tuberaceae were studied to clarify the generic placement of two southern African desert truffles, Terfezia pfeilii and Choiromyces echinulatus. The results show that neither species belongs in the genus to which it has been assigned on the basis of morphological characters. As expected, two Choiromyces spp. grouped close to the representative of the Tuberaceae (Tuber melanosporum). However, C. echinulatus diverged from the other Choiromyces species and emerged near members of the genus Terfezia, being even closer to that genus than T. pfeilii. Two new genera and new species combinations, Kalaharituber gen. nov. with K. pfeilii (syn. T. pfeilii) comb. nov. and Eremiomyces gen. nov. with E. echinulatus (syn. C. echinulatus) comb. nov. are therefore introduced to accomodate these taxa. Both genera are closely related to Terfeziia, and thus are placed in the Pezizaceae.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFerdman, Yael; Aviram, Sharon; Roth-Bejerano, Nurit; Trappe, James M.; Kagan-Zur, Varda. 2005. Phylogenetic studies of Terfezia pfeilii and Choiromyces echinulatus (Pezizales) support new genera for southern African truffles: Kalaharituber and Eremiomyces. Mycology Research. 109(2): 237-245
- Terfezia disappears from the American truffle mycota as two new genera and Mattirolomyces species emerge
- Comparative taxonomy of desert truffles of the Australian outback and the African Kalahari
- Calongea, a new genus of truffles in the Pezizaceae (Pezizales)
XML: View XML