Skip to Main Content
Proceedings of the 23rd Southern Forest Tree Improvement ConferenceAuthor(s): Robert J. Weir; Alice V. Hatcher; [Compilers]
Source: Sponsored Publication No. 45 of the Southern Forest Tree Improvement Committee
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (5.4 MB)
DescriptionThe 23rd Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference was held at the Holiday Inn SunSpree Resort in Asheville, North Carolina. The Conference was sponsored by the Southern Forest Tree Improvement Committee and hosted by the N. C. State University-Industry Cooperative Tree Improvement Program. A total of 37 presentations, three invited and 34 voluntary, were given. The voluntary papers were evaluated by the Southern Forest Tree Improvement Committee for the $200 Tony Squillace Award (best oral presentation/written paper). The paper General and Specific Combining Ability for Fusiform Rust Infection in Slash Pine by T. D. Byram and W. J. Lowe was selected to receive the Squillace Award. Congratulations to Tom and Bill for an outstanding contribution. Ten posters were exhibited during the conference. The Baruch Foundation award of $100 for best poster was presented to H. V. Amerson, P. L. Wilcox, D. O'Malley, R. R. Sederoff, E. G. Kuhlman for their poster entitled: Role of Major Genes for Resistance in the Loblolly Pine Fusiform Rust Forest Pathosvstem. Congratulations to Henry, Phil, Dave, Ron and George. Conference attendees participated in a tour of Biltmore Estate, the birthplace of forestry in the United States. Preceding the tour, Bill Alexander, Landscape Curator at Biltmore Estate, presented an overview of forestry at Biltmore entitled "Breaking New Ground": 100 Years of Forestrv at Biltmore Estate. The staff of the N. C. State University-Industry Cooperative Tree Improvement Program expresses their appreciation to all conference participants for their contribution to a successful meeting.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWeir, Robert J.; Hatcher, Alice V.; [Compilers] 1995. Proceedings of the 23rd Southern Forest Tree Improvement Conference. Sponsored Publication No. 45 of the Southern Forest Tree Improvement Committee
- Proceedings of the Eighth Biennial Southern Silvicultural Research Conference
- Proceedings of the Ninth Biennial Southern Silvicultural Research Conference
- Forest growth and timber quality: crown models and simulation methods for sustainable forest management
XML: View XML