Skip to Main Content
Yields of Unthinned Loblolly Pine Plantations on Cutover Sites in the West Gulf RegionAuthor(s): D.F. Feduccia; T.R. Dell; W.F. Mann; T.E. Campbell; B.H. Polmer
Source: Res. Pap. SO-148. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 94 p.
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Southern Forest Experiment Station
PDF: View PDF (2.8 MB)
DescriptionThe system of equations presented here uses diameter distributions and tree taper functions to forecast in detail the development of unthinned loblolly pine plantations. Data were collected in parts of east Texas, Louisiana, southern Arkansas, and southern Mississippi. Only plantations established on cutover sites that did not require preparation were sampled. However, the results should serve as interim guides for yields in plantations where site preparation is employed. Two sets of yield tables are given, corresponding to predictions made from the site index, plantation age, and number of trees surviving or number of trees planted and the survival pattern expressed in the study data. To enhance stand description, new techniques are presented for predicting crown ratio by d.b.h. class. Crown ratios are used to select the appropriate set of taper curves. The computer program USLYCOWG (unthinned slash and loblolly yields for cutover sites in the West Gulf region) that produces the yield tables can be obtained from the authors.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFeduccia, D.F.; Dell, T.R.; Mann, W.F., Jr.; Campbell, T.E.; Polmer, B.H. 1979. Yields of Unthinned Loblolly Pine Plantations on Cutover Sites in the West Gulf Region. Res. Pap. SO-148. New Orleans, LA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Forest Experiment Station. 94 p.
KeywordsPinus taeda, volume predictions, unthinned plantation yields, volume yields of loblolly pine, Weibull distribution, taper curves, crown ratio, survival prediction, problem-free sites
- Merchandizer: Adapting USLYCOWG to the Marketplace
- Validation of the Unthinned Loblolly Pine Plantation Yield Model-USLYCOWG
- Growth models for ponderosa pine: I. Yield of unthinned plantations in northern California.
XML: View XML