Skip to Main Content
A national profile of the U.S. hardwood sawmill industryAuthor(s): Scott Bowe; Robert Smith; Philip A. Araman
Source: Forest Products Journal. 51(10): 25-31.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (102.6 KB)
DescriptionA nationwide survey of the hardwood sawmill industry was conducted in the fall of 1999. The objectives of the survey were to generate a current demographic profile of the hardwood sawmill industry and identify the preferred information sources for the hardwood sawmill industry. These objectives were chosen because timely information was not available for the hardwood sawmill industry. The survey consisted of a mail questionnaire that was sent to over 2,000 hardwood sawmills. The results from the mail survey found that the average yearly lumber production was 7.6 million board feet per sawmill. The most common type of scanning and optimizing technology, headrig optimization, was only in use by 27 percent of the responding mills. Advanced scanning and optimizing technology such as edger-optimizers and trimmer-optimizers were only in use by 10 percent and 5 percent of the respondents, respectively. Regarding information sources, plant visits and peer conversations were rated the highest, and the Internet was rated last. Overall, the use of advanced technology within the hardwood sawmill was not common, production was a key issue, and hardwood sawmillers preferred hands-on or personal interaction for their information needs.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBowe, Scott; Smith, Robert; Araman, Philip A. 2001. A national profile of the U.S. hardwood sawmill industry. Forest Products Journal. 51(10): 25-31.
- A segmental analysis of current and future scanning and optimizing technology in the hardwood sawmill industry
- Use of advanced hardwood sawmill equipment, and desired features for next-generation systems
- A profile of Pennsylvania's hardwood sawmill industry
XML: View XML