Skip to Main Content
Reference karyotype and cytomolecular map for loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.)Author(s): M. Nurul Islam-faridi; C. Dana Nelson; Thomas L. Kubisiak
Source: Genome, Vol. 50: 241-251
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (684 KB)
DescriptionA reference karyotype is presented for loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L., subgenus Pinus , section Pinus, subsection Australes), based on fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH), using 18s-28s rDNA, 5s rDNA, and Arabidopsis-type telomere repeat sequence (A-type TRS). Well separated somatic chromosomes were prepared from colchicine-treated root meristems, using an enzymatic digestion technique. Statistical analyses performed on chromosome-arm lengths, centromeric indices, and interstitial rDNA and telomeric positions were based on observations from 6 well-separated metaphase cells from each of 3 unrelated trees. Statistically, 7 of the 12 loblolly pine chromosomes could be distinguished by their relative lengths. Centromeric indices were unable to distinguish additional chromosomes. However, the position and relative strength of the rDNA and telomeric sites made it possible to uniquely identify all of the chromosomes, providing a reference karyotype for use in comparative genome analyses. A dichotomous key was developed to aid in the identification of loblolly pine chromosomes and their comparison to chromosomes of other Pinus spp. A cytomolecular map was developed using the interstitial 18s-28s rDNA and A-type TRS signals. A total of 54 bins were assigned, ranging from 3 to 5 bins per chromosome. This is the first report of a chromosome-anchored physical map for a conifer that includes a dichotomous key for accurate and consistent identification of the P. taeda chromosomes.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationIslam-faridi, M. Nurul; Nelson, C. Dana; Kubisiak, Thomas L. 2007. Reference karyotype and cytomolecular map for loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.). Genome, Vol. 50: 241-251
KeywordsFISH, loblolly pine, 18S-28S rDNA, A-type TRS, reference karyotype, cytomolecular map, dichtomous key, TRS/18-28S bins
- Loblolly pine karyotype using FISH and DAPI positive banding
- Chromosomal locations of the ribosomal dna genes in shortleaf pine
- Identification of a new retrotransposable element in loblolly pine
XML: View XML