Skip to Main Content
Limonene: attractant kairomone for white pine cone beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in an Eastern white pine seed orchard in Western North CarolinaAuthor(s): Daniel R. Miller
Source: J. Econ, Entomol, Vol. 100(3): 815-822
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (338 KB)
DescriptionI report on the attraction of the white pine cone beetle, Canophthorus coniperda (Schwarz) (Coleoptera: Scolytidae), to traps baited with the host monoterpene limonene in western North Carolina. Both (+)- and (-)-limonene attracted male and female cone beetles to Japenese beetle traps in an eastern white pine, Pinus strobus L. seed orchard near Murphy, NC. Catches of cone beetles were directly proportional to the release rate of (-)-limonene; (+)-limonene was not rested for dose resposne. Attraction of cone beetles to the pheromone (+-)-trans-pityol was increased significantly by both enantiomers of limonen. In all experiments, catches of C. coniperda were strongly male biased with no treatment effect on sex ration. (-)-limonene had no effect on trap catches of the predator Enoclerus nigripes (say) to pityol, whereas (+)-limonene interrupted the attraction of E. nigripes to traps baited with pityol. Of six monoterpenes commonly found in white pine cones, only (-)-a-pinene elicited attraction of E. nigripes to Japanese beetle traps.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMiller, Daniel R. 2007. Limonene: attractant kairomone for white pine cone beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in an Eastern white pine seed orchard in Western North Carolina. J. Econ, Entomol, Vol. 100(3): 815-822
KeywordsConophthorus coniperda, Scolytidae, kairomone, Cleridae, Enclerus nigripes
- Dose and Enantiospecific Responses of White Pine Cone Beetles, Conophthorus coniperda, to a-Pinene in an Eastern White Pine Seed Orchard
- Sex Pheromone of Conophthorus ponderosae (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in a Coastal Stand of Western White Pine (Pinaceae)
- Influence of seed weight on early development of eastern white pine
XML: View XML