Skip to Main Content
Climate change and forest disturbancesAuthor(s): Virginia H. Dale; Linda A. Joyce; Steve McNulty; Ronald P. Neilson; Matthew P. Ayres; Michael D. Flannigan; Paul J. Hanson; Lloyd C. Irland; Ariel E. Lugo; Chris J. Peterson; Daniel Simberloff; Frederick J. Swanson; Brian J. Stocks; Michael Wotton
Source: BioScience. 51(9): 723-734.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (2.1 MB)
DescriptionThis article examines how eight disturbances influence forest structure, composition, and function, and how climate change may influence the severity, frequency, and magnitude of disturbances to forests. We focus on examples from the United States, although these influences occur worldwide. We also consider options for coping with disturbance under changing climate. This analysis points to specific research needs that should improve the understanding of how climate change affects forest disturbances.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationDale, Virginia H.; Joyce, Linda A.; McNulty, Steve; Neilson, Ronald P.; Ayres, Matthew P.; Flannigan, Michael D.; Hanson, Paul J.; Irland, Lloyd C.; Lugo, Ariel E.; Peterson, Chris J.; Simberloff, Daniel; Swanson, Frederick J.; Stocks, Brian J.; Wotton, Michael. 2001. Climate change and forest disturbances. BioScience. 51(9): 723-734.
- More than the sum of its parts: how disturbance interactions shape forest dynamics under climate change
- Multi-scale spatial controls of understory vegetation in Douglas-fir–western hemlock forests of western Oregon, USA
- Potential increases in natural disturbance rates could offset forest management impacts on ecosystem carbon stocks.
XML: View XML