Skip to Main Content
Model-assisted estimation of forest resources with generalized additive modelsAuthor(s): Jean D. Opsomer; F. Jay Breidt; Gretchen G. Moisen; Goran Kauermann
Source: Journal of the American Statistical Association. 102: 400-416.
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (579.87 KB)
DescriptionMultiphase surveys are often conducted in forest inventories, with the goal of estimating forested area and tree characteristics over large regions. This article describes how design-based estimation of such quantities, based on information gathered during ground visits of sampled plots, can be made more precise by incorporating auxiliary information available from remote sensing. The relationship between the ground visit measurements and the remote sensing variables is modeled using generalized additive models. Nonparametric estimators for these models are discussed and applied to forest data collected in the mountains of northern Utah. Model-assisted estimators that use the nonparametric regression fits are proposed for these data. The design context of this study is two-phase systematic sampling from a spatial continuum, under which properties of model-assisted estimators are derived. Difficulties with the standard variance estimation approach, which assumes simple random sampling in each phase, are described. An alternative assessment of estimator performance based on a synthetic population is implemented and shows that using the model predictions in a model-assisted survey estimation procedure results in substantial efficiency improvements over current estimation approaches.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationOpsomer, Jean D.; Breidt, F. Jay; Moisen, Gretchen G.; Kauermann, Goran. 2007. Model-assisted estimation of forest resources with generalized additive models. Journal of the American Statistical Association. 102: 400-416.
Keywordscalibration, multiphase survey estimation, nonparametric regression, systematic sampling, variance estimation
- Use of models in large-area forest surveys: comparing model-assisted, model-based and hybrid estimation
- Implications of sampling design and sample size for national carbon accounting systems
- Model-assisted survey regression estimation with the lasso
XML: View XML