Skip to Main Content
Attributes of down woody materials in hardwood forests of the Eastern United StatesAuthor(s): Christopher W. Woodall; Sonja N. Oswalt; Randall S. Morin
Source: e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–101. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station: 144-153 [CD-ROM].
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
PDF: View PDF (291.0 KB)
DescriptionThe Forest Inventory and Analysis Program (FIA) of the USDA Forest Service conducts a national inventory of down woody materials (DWM) on forestland in the United States. Estimates of DWM for inventory plots occurring in eastern U.S. hardwood forests facilitate large-scale assessment of hardwood forest fuel loadings and wildlife habitat. Therefore, the objectives of this study were (1) to quantify fuel loadings by National Fire Danger Rating System (NFDRS) hour-class for common hardwood forest types of the eastern U.S., (2) to quantify coarse woody debris (CWD) size distributions for common hardwood forest types of the eastern U.S., (3) and to compare the means of CWD and fine woody debris (FWD) by classes of stand live-tree basal area and stand age for hardwood forests of the eastern U.S. using currently available data from FIA. Results indicate appreciable amounts of forest fuels in eastern hardwood forests, particularly in pure and mixed species forests with oak components. Furthermore, size-class distributions of coarse woody pieces indicate a dearth of large-sized coarse woody debris in eastern hardwood forests. Overall, a large-scale assessment of down woody attributes in hardwood forests of the eastern U.S. contributes to understanding this resource’s role in the management of fuels and wildlife habitat of the United States.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWoodall, Christopher W.; Oswalt, Sonja N.; Morin, Randall S. 2007. Attributes of down woody materials in hardwood forests of the Eastern United States. e-Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS–101. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station: 144-153 [CD-ROM].
- Down woody materials as an indicator of wildlife habitat, fuels, and carbon stocks of the United States
- The National Inventory of Down Woody Materials: Methods, Outputs, and Future Directions
- Amounts of Down Woody Materials for Mixed-Oak Forests in Kentucky, Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina
XML: View XML