Skip to Main Content
Chapter 9: Molts and Plumages in the Annual Cycle of the Marbled MurreletAuthor(s): Harry R. Carter; Janet L. Stein
Source: In: Ralph, C. John; Hunt, George L., Jr.; Raphael, Martin G.; Piatt, John F., Technical Editors. 1995. Ecology and conservation of the Marbled Murrelet. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-152. Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; p. 99-112
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (764 KB)
DescriptionMarbled Murrelets have distinct basic, alternate and juvenal plumages. In after-hatching-year (adult) birds, the incomplete pre-alternate molt occurs rapidly over a period of about one month per individual between late February and mid-May. The complete pre-basic molt occurs between mid-July and December. At this time, individuals are flightless for about two months. In late summer, it is difficult to distinguish adult birds undergoing prebasic molt from juveniles at sea. Field methods for separating these age categories at sea at this time of the year are presented. By early fall, older juveniles are not distinguishable in the field from after-hatching-year birds in basic plumage. The timing of prebasic and pre-alternate molts were closely related to the timing of breeding, movements and other aspects of the annual cycle of Marbled Murrelets in Barkley Sound, British Columbia.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCarter, Harry R.; Stein, Janet L. 1995. Chapter 9: Molts and Plumages in the Annual Cycle of the Marbled Murrelet. In: Ralph, C. John; Hunt, George L., Jr.; Raphael, Martin G.; Piatt, John F., Technical Editors. 1995. Ecology and conservation of the Marbled Murrelet. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-152. Albany, CA: Pacific Southwest Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; p. 99-112
- Age ratios as estimators of productivity: testing assumptions on a threatened seabird, the marbled murrelet (Brachyramphus marmoratus)
- Chapter 35: Productivity of marbled murrelets in California from observations of young at sea
- Chapter 3: Comparative Reproductive Ecology of the Auks (Family Alcidae) with Emphasis on the Marbled Murrelet
XML: View XML