Skip to Main Content
Area-specific recreation use estimation using the national visitor use monitoring program data.Author(s): Eric M. White; Stanley J. Zarnoch; Donald B.K. English
Source: Res. Note PNW-RN-557. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 26 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (2.15 MB)
DescriptionEstimates of national forest recreation use are available at the national, regional, and forest levels via the USDA Forest Service National Visitor Use Monitoring (NVUM) program. In some resource planning and management applications, analysts desire recreation use estimates for subforest areas within an individual national forest or for subforest areas that combine portions of several national forests. In this research note we have detailed two approaches whereby the NVUM sampling data may be used to estimate recreation use for a subforest area within a single national forest or for a subforest area combining portions of more than one national forest. The approaches differ in their data requirements, complexity, and assumptions. In the “new forest” approach, recreation use is estimated by using NVUM data obtained only from NVUM interview sites within the area of interest. In the “all-forest information” approach, recreation use is estimated by using sample data gathered on all portions of the national forest(s) that contain the area of interest.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWhite, Eric M.; Zarnoch, Stanley J.; English, Donald B.K. 2007. Area-specific recreation use estimation using the national visitor use monitoring program data. Res. Note PNW-RN-557. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 26 p
KeywordsRecreation visits, National Visitor Use Monitoring program, recreation use estimation, recreation area
- National visitor use monitoring implementation in Alaska.
- An outdoor recreation use model with applications to evaluating survey estimators
- A model for evaluating dispersed outdoor recreation use estimation
XML: View XML