Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Description of Nesting Habitat for Least Bell's Vireo in San Diego CountyAuthor(s): Bonnie J. Hendricks; John P. Rieger
Source: In: Abell, Dana L., Technical Coordinator. 1989. Proceedings of the California Riparian Systems Conference: protection, management, and restoration for the 1990s; 1988 September 22-24; Davis, CA. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-110. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; p. 285-292
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (256 KB)
DescriptionLeast Bell's Vireo (Vireo bellii pusillus) nesting sites on three rivers in coastal southern California were characterized to provide data for a habitat restoration plan for this endangered species. In addition, riparian areas outside vireo territories were sampled to compare with nesting habitat. The parameters measured were percent cover, percent open ground, plant heights, plant density, height class frequency, species frequency, and species diversity. The vireo nest sites showed no significant differences from the non-nest riparian sites for any of the variables studied. The nest sites on the San Diego River had lower native plant density and diversity than nest sites on the Sweetwater and San Luis Rey rivers. There were no significant differences in nesting habitat between the Sweetwater and San Luis Rey. We suggest using the data from all three rivers in designing revegetation sites for the Least Bell's Vireo in coastal San Diego County if data on the specific watershed being revegetated can not be obtained.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHendricks, Bonnie J.; Rieger, John P. 1989. Description of Nesting Habitat for Least Bell''s Vireo in San Diego County. In: Abell, Dana L., Technical Coordinator. 1989. Proceedings of the California Riparian Systems Conference: protection, management, and restoration for the 1990s; 1988 September 22-24; Davis, CA. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-110. Berkeley, CA: Pacific Southwest Forest and Range Experiment Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; p. 285-292
- Use of Non-Riparian Habitats by Least Bell's Vireos
- A Restoration Design for Least Bell's Vireo Habitat in San Diego County
- Characteristics of the Least Bell's Vireo Nest Sites Along the Santa Ynez River, Santa Barbara County
XML: View XML