Skip to Main Content
Pest Fact Sheet 2007: Southern Pine Beetle prevention initiative: Working for healthier forestsAuthor(s): R-8 and Southern Research Station U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service Forest Health Protection
Source: Science Update SRS-013. United States Department of Agriculture, Southern Research Station. [Brochure].
Publication Series: Science Update
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (605 KB)
DescriptionFrom 1999 to 2003, southern pine beetle (SPB) caused unprecedented damage to pine forests in southern Appalachian mountains. These losses severely impacted the natural resource base that supports the South's tourism and wood-based manufacturing industries and also destroyed the habitat of threatened and endangered species, such as the red-cockaded woodpecker. Since then, Forest Health Protection (FHP) and the Southern Research Station (SRS) received funding through SPB initiative funds to cooperatively focus more resources on SPB prevention work. FHP developed the SPB Prevention and Restoration Program and is working with 12 national forests and all 13 States in the Southern Region. The SRS Insects, Diseases, and Invasive Plants of Southern Forests Research Work Unit is working to enhance basic understanding of the insect, its population dynamics, and the best management strategies for preventing and suppressing outbreaks.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationU.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service Forest Health Protection, R-8 and Southern Research Station 2007. Pest Fact Sheet 2007: Southern Pine Beetle prevention initiative: Working for healthier forests. Science Update SRS-013. United States Department of Agriculture, Southern Research Station. [Brochure].
- The southern pine beetle prevention initiative: working for healthier forests
- Operational Use of Southern Pine Beetle Survey Information
- Southern Pine Beetle Information System (SPBIS)
XML: View XML