Skip to Main Content
Evaluation of Metal Connector Plates for Repair of Wood Pallet StringersAuthor(s): John W. Clarke; Thomas E. McLain; Marshall S. White; Philip A. Araman
Source: Forest Products Journal. 43 (10): 15-22.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (330 KB)
DescriptionRepair of damaged pallets with metal connector plates (MCPs or plates) may reduce woodwaste while providing high quality, economical pallets. This study evaluated some effects of MCP repair on the performance of pallet components and some provisions of a preliminary standard for MCP repair of pallets. Whole pallet stringers and notched segments of stringers were tested in static bending; end feet were tested for resistance to fork tine impact. After repair at notch corners, stringers had greater strength but less stiffness than originally. MCP repair of above-notch failures could not restore the original strength or stiffness of notched segments. However, these repairs may be satisfactory in stringers, since only half the original above-notch strength is needed before the average stringer will fail between the notches. No differences were found in performance of different plate styles used to repair stringers and notched segments. Practical differences in the performance of these plate styles may exist under industrial conditions or with species other than oak. repaired end feet had greater impact resistance than originally. Wood species, rather than stringer width, had a greater influence on MCP repair performance for all components. Component testing may be a practical means of assessing the effect of repair techniques on pallet performance.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationClarke, John W.; McLain, Thomas E.; White, Marshall S.; Araman, Philip A. 1993. Evaluation of Metal Connector Plates for Repair of Wood Pallet Stringers. Forest Products Journal. 43 (10): 15-22.
- Reinforcement of Wood Pallets with Metal Connector Plates
- Repair & Reinforcing Pallet Stringers With Metal Plates
- Exciting News From Va. Tech - Repaired Pallets May Be Stronger Than the Original
XML: View XML