Skip to Main Content
A Guide to Bottomland Hardwood RestorationAuthor(s): J.A. Allen; B.D. Keeland; John A. Stanturf; A.F. Clewell; Harvey E.. Jr. Kennedy
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-40. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 142 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (6.4 MB)
DescriptionThe primary focus of this guide is to provide information for land managers and landowners who want to reestablish bottomland hardwood forest vegetation, particularly the trees, on lands where they formerly occurred. Restoration and reforestation are approached with the realization that hydrology, as the driving force of wetland ecosystems, must be explicitly considered in all projects. Without the proper hydrologic regime for the site conditions and tree species selected for planting, it is unlikely that a project will be a success. It is assumed that the goal of the audience using this guide is at least the reestablishment of bottomland hardwood forest systems and hopefully the restoration of all functions and values associated with these forests (e.g., storage of floodwaters, water quality improvement, provision of wildlife habitat, etc.).
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAllen, J.A.; Keeland, B.D.; Stanturf, John A.; Clewell, A.F.; Kennedy, Harvey E.. Jr. 2001. A Guide to Bottomland Hardwood Restoration. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-40. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 142 p.
- Achieving restoration success: myths in bottomland hardwood forests
- Restoration of southern ecosystems
- Ecosystem Restoration: Fact or Fancy?
XML: View XML