Skip to Main Content
The influence of financial incentive programs in promoting sustainable forestry on the nation's family forestsAuthor(s): Michael A. Kilgore; John L. Greene; Michael G. Jacobson; Thomas J. Straka; Steven E. Daniels
Source: Journal of Forestry: 184-191
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (105 KB)
DescriptionFinancial incentive programs were evaluated to assess their contribution to promoting sustainable forestry practices on the nation’s family forests. The evaluation consisted of an extensive review of the literature on financial incentive programs, a mail survey of the lead administrator of financial incentive programs in each state forestry agency, and focus groups with family forest owners in four regions of the country. The study found that financial incentive programs have limited influence on forest owners’ decisions regarding the management and use of their land. Family forest owners viewed one-on-one access to a forester or other natural resource professional to “walk the land” with them and discuss their management alternatives as the most important type of assistance that can be provided. Recommendations for increasing the effectiveness of financial incentive programs in promoting sustainable forestry are discussed.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKilgore, Michael A.; Greene, John L.; Jacobson, Michael G.; Straka, Thomas J.; Daniels, Steven E. 2006. The influence of financial incentive programs in promoting sustainable forestry on the nation''s family forests. Journal of Forestry: 184-191
- The influence of financial incentive programs in promoting sustainable forestry on the nation's family forests
- Existing and Potential Incentives for Practicing Sustainable Forestry on Non-industrial Private Forest Lands
- Effectiveness of financial incentive programs in promoting sustainable forestry in the west
XML: View XML