Skip to Main Content
Forested wetlands of the Southern United States: a bibliographyAuthor(s): William H. Conner; Nicole L. Hill; Evander M. Whitehead; William S. Busbee; Marceau A. Ratard; Mehmet Ozalp; Darrel L. Smith; James P. Marshall
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-43. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 133 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (914.0 KB)
DescriptionThe term forested wetland covers a variety of forest types including mangroves, cypress/tupelo swamps, bottomland hardwoods, pocosins and Carolina bays, flatwoods, and mountain fens. These forests are dominated by woody species that have morphological features, physiological adaptations, and/or reproductive strategies enabling them to achieve maturity and reproduce in an environment where the soils within the rooting zone may be inundated or saturated for various periods during the growing season. Although alluvial floodplains occur along most streams of the United States, they are most extensive in the Atlantic Coastal Plain, Gulf Coastal Plain, and Mississippi Alluvial Plain. Only about half of the original floodplain forests remained by the 1930s and conversion to agriculture continued at an accelerated pace during the 1960s and 1970s. The purpose of this bibliography is to provide a detailed listing of references for students and researchers of the varied studies conducted in these forest types.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationConner, William H.; Hill, Nicole L.; Whitehead, Evander M.; Busbee, William S.; Ratard, Marceau A.; Ozalp, Mehmet; Smith, Darrel L.; Marshall, James P. 2001. Forested wetlands of the Southern United States: a bibliography. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-43. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 133 p.
Keywordsbibliography, bottomland hardwoods, cypress/tupelo swamps, forested wetlands, Southern United States, swamps
- Outlook for Mississippi Alluvial Valley forests: a subregional report from the Southern Forest Futures Project
- Alluvial Scrub Vegetation in Coastal Southern California
- Geomorphology and soil survey
XML: View XML